Practical Note 26: Codifying Water Rules and Rights (in Spate Irrigation)
Document: Codifying Water Rights in Contested Basins of Afghanistan
Document: Codification of water Rights Afghanistan: Case study of water rights and water codification of Nimruz province
Webinar: Water Rights and Water conflicts
Video on Water Rights and Water Conflicts in Nimruz, Afghanistan:
In the past, Afghanistan’s western Nimruz province was called the ‘Stock of Asia,’ as it was a key supplier of wheat to countries across the continent. However, three decades of conflict led to a neglect of water management, making water scarce and reducing agriculture to a seasonal activity. Key to the efforts of managing scarcity, and improving upon the situation is better codification and enforcement of water rights.
Title: Documents about spate irrigation, water rights and more (all in Urdu) from the late 19th century and early 20th century:
- Document 1: File for water rights of Surplus water of spate river Vehova, Litra and other minor spate river system. Year:1917 – 1918.
- Document 2: General description of Spate River System Litra, Sewari and Mithawan. Describing routes, origin, flow path, irrigation command area village wise with water shares and basic terminology of spate irrigation in Tehsil Taunsa, District DG Khan, Pakistan. Year: 1917 – 1918
- Document 3: Principles and practices of Spate Rivers Litra, Sewari and Mithawan, Tehsil Taunsa, District DG Khan, Pakistan. Documented and put in the record by Land Revenue department. Year: 1872
- Document 4: Principles, practices and water rights of surplus water Spate Irrigation Vehova, Litra and small spate systems, Thesil Taunsa, District DG Khan, Pakistan. Documented by Land revenue department. Year: 1872
- Document 5: Principles, practices and water rights for Spate Rivers Baathi, Rorhali, Hamal Wali and Biaran, in Tehsil Taunsa, District DG Khan, Pakistan, Original documented in 1872 but modified with consultation of local farmers and water use association in Settlements year 1917 -1918.
- Document 6: Book/File on Water Rights for Spate River Kaura in Tehsil Taunsa, District DG Khan, Pakistan. Original documented in 1872 and modified in Settlement Year 1902.
- Document 7: Water rights for Spate River Litra and other adjoining minor spate systems in Tibbi Qaisrani and surrounding villages, Tehsil Taunsa, District DK Khan, Pakistan.
Title: Water Rights on Suri Lundan River Dera Ghazi Khan
Description: This document contains the entire water rights from top to bottom of the length of the Suri Lundan River in Dera Ghazi Khan in Pakistan.
Title: Water Rights on Wadoor River Dera Ghazi Khan
Description: This documents contains all water rights from the complete length of the Wadoor River in Dera Ghazi Khan district in Pakistan.
Title:Riwaj and Kulliat (Rules and Traditions on water distribution of Sheikh Hyder Zam Dera Ismail Khan KPK Pakistan)
Description: This document contains rules and traditions on water distribution of Sheikh Hyder Zam Dera Ismail Khan Pakistan.
Title: Daraban Zam Rewayat-o-Kulyat
Title: Water Rights Chachar Ganda at Chakar River SIBI Balochistan
Title: Water Rights Qaiser Ganda at Chakar River SIBI Balochistan
Title: Water Rights sultan Kot Ganda at Chakar River SIBI Balochistan
Title: Water Rights Raza and Chandia of take at Chakar River SIBI Balochistan
Title: Water Rights Tali Ganda at Chakar River SIBI Balochistan
Title: Water Rights Kaha Sultan Rajanpur District (61 Mb)
Title: History and Revenue Collection Procedure at Bhag Narri, Balochistan
Title: Decision on Allocation of Additional Water for Mithri Weir, Balochistan
Title: Water Distribution Agreement Narri Balochistan – Translation from Kalat State Document